Thursday 12 April 2012

The Casual Vacancy

I want to squeal, jump and pump the air all at once.  

I have just read an article that says the title of J.K Rowling’s new novel is The Casual Vacancy.  The title itself doesn’t mean anything to me – in fact just from the title alone my mind draws a blank, I could not tell you even if I tried what it will be about.  Except of course that it is going to be sensational!

Lucky for me (and other JKR worshipers) there is a bit of a blurb about the book.  Starting with ‘it is a drama based on a council election in a small English town’.  Okay although I didn’t know what it was about before reading the above sentence, I wasn’t expecting that... sounds a little boring to me – what do you think??

I read on... ‘The novel is set in the small, idyllic town of Pagford and follows the trials and tribulations of the town's residents after parish councillor Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly and an election is called.’  Yes, an unexpected death does make a story more interesting... 

The blurb continues... ‘Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils ... Pagford is not what it first seems.  And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?’

I’m sold – tell me when and where and I’m there J  Damn, I have to wait until 27 September! The countdown begins... 167 days and counting!

Signing off
Em (hoot, hoot)

No comments:

Post a Comment